Saturday, May 28, 2011

Bengal Bio: Brittany Harris Ryder

After graduating high school, I attended the University of Utah as a pre-med student. A year into schooling, I decided to switch my major, and received a degree in Elementary Education in 2007. I married Scott Ryder in September 2001, just 3 days after the tragedy of 9-11. We decided to wait on beginning a family and welcomed our amazing son Augustus "Gus" in June 2007. He is such a sweet, mellow boy and loads of fun to watch learn and grow. In April 2009, we welcomed our beautiful daughter Elizabeth "Betta". She is the complete opposite of her brother and is so full of life.

After receiving my degree, I began teaching 1st grade in Farmington. I taught 1st grade for 2 years, then made the transition to 4th grade. Last year, I recieved my Master of Arts in Teaching degree from National University. I love my job and am so thrilled to begin my 3rd year of teaching 4th graders in the fall.

Last year, I found a new passion in my life: belly dancing. I know, crazy! I began this "hobby" as a way to help lose the baby fat and was hooked. I now dance in two performing troupes "Amaya" and "Amani" with Desert Journey School of Dance, and teach belly dancing through Granite Peaks Community Classes and Desert Journey School of Dance.

This year has been a year of trials and changes. My husband has suffered from epilepsy for 15 years, and has had many problems/limitations due to his disease. The anti-seizure medications were not working the way they should have, so we made the hard and necessary decision for Scott to undergo surgery to remove the portion of his brain that produced the seizures. On October 5, 2010, Scott had a partial left temperal lobectomy. Scott has now been seizure free for 8 months, and has a new lease on life.

I've loved reading through all of the biographies, and am very excited to catch up with everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment