Sunday, March 27, 2011

Bengal Bio: Kevin Meyers

I spent the summer after graduation getting ready to head off to college as well as a 4 week trip to Spain and Portugal. That trip was absolutely amazing and I look forward to going back to Europe to do some more traveling. I’ve done a fair amount of traveling since then, visiting most of the 50 states (Alaska still on the to-do list) and also have plans of going to Central and South America.

My first year of college I attended Heidelberg College, but found that not only did I miss Utah, but going to a school where the size of the whole school is barely bigger than your graduating class at high school just wasn’t for me. So, I came back and graduated from the University of Utah with a degree in Geography/GIS in 2005. Shortly thereafter, I started my “career” and I’ve been in the GIS (Geographic Information Systems) field ever since. In January of 2007 I took a position with a city government in Phoenix, AZ and have lived here ever since. While the summers can be a little wearing, I can’t complain about the awesome weather the rest of the year.

That weather heightened my desire to purchase a motorcycle, which I finally did last year. Took the riding/licensing class, and a week later had my first bike. The one in my picture is just my second bike (first one was definitely a “starter” bike) but I love it and imagine I’ll have it for quite awhile. I usually ride it to work at least a couple times a week but I’ve also ridden it to Vegas and back and recently took a weekend trip up to Prescott and Sedona, which was a really fun ride.

I’ve changed my athletic focus from soccer and tennis (although I still play some of each) to sand volleyball. I had been playing up to 3 or 4 nights a week but my shoulder (which I’ve had issues with since a rotator cuff tear in 2002) finally decided to give out and I had surgery to repair a torn labrum in January of this year. Still another couple months before I can get back out to playing.

Not married, no kids (that I know of), but I’m definitely enjoying life and just taking things as they come. That stuff will happen when it’s meant to.

Looking back on high school years, favorite memories are definitely with the friends I made there, and the great times we have had together after high school.


No comments:

Post a Comment